Sunday, April 13, 2008

The $64.00 Hat

So yesterday we got up at 6:30 am ready for another garage sale adventure. I grabbed $80, a couple of water bottles, our "quarter bag," and the Penny-Saver and off we went in search of new treasures and ebay items. I had planned our map of attack and the first place on our list was a community garage sale in Lake Forest that promised 75 homes. We started to drive around and visit the different sales. It was about 20 minutes into it when Russ found our first item for the day.... a brand new FOX hat (with tags still on) for $5.00. He asked the guy to sell it for $3.00 and they bargained it to $4.00. Since I had all of the cash in my pocket, I pulled out a $20 bill and handed it to Russ. I walked away to the next garage sale as Russ paid for the hat. It wasn't until another five minutes later when I realized that I had accidently dropped the other $60.00 when I had pulled the twenty out of my pocket for the hat. I couldn't believe that I had lost it! Russ went back to the garage sale where he had bought the hat to ask the people if they had seen the cash. Of corse no one had. I'm sure as soon as I dropped it, it was gone. I just hope that whoever found it, needed it and got some really rad deals with it. Russ teased me that the hat he got was now worth $64.00--the most expensive hat he's ever bought!

To make things better, Russ said he still had $16.00 in his pocket and he wasn't going to let losing our cash for the day get us down. So we kept going. Two garage sales later, I found a "golden ticket"--the perfect garage sale find-- the find of the day.

This lady had the Cashflow (Rich Dad, Poor Dad) board game for $1.00. Yes--$1.00. I couldn't believe it. Here was a brand new (NBI) in it's packaging board game worth $100.00 for $1.00! To not give away my excitement, I called Russ over, and said "Hey Russ, you've been waiting this game, let's get it!" Russ who also knew how much the game was, gave me the look like "No way--only $1.00!). I gave the woman the one dollar bill as quick as I could and we headed out! I was so happy because not only did I make my $60.00 back, but I made even more! I had Russ look it up on ebay right away and found that the game sellls between $80-140.00. Not too shabby!

So I've decided that it's true what they say about karma. We "donated" $60 to a fellow garage saler, who hopefully needed it... and then in return we found a golden ticket and made even more money! How can you go wrong with that? Needless to say--I LOVE GARAGE SALES!

Here is a picture of Russ as we were returning home with his two finds--his two hats on his head (the new one, and the one he was wearing--and our board game!

2 comments:

amelia said...

OK...you so need to give me tips on garage sale-ing. GJ and I went on Saturday...NOTHING. I should try to be more hardcore and just buy the $1 DVD to sell online, but mostly, there was junk at every one.

SO COOL about the boardgame! At leaset you're making money back!

Chatty Cathy World said...

Sounds like such fun. Lets all go when we come in May!!