Thursday, June 18, 2009

The story behind the willowsprings photos

The race pictures I posted earlier this week have a story. They're
from three weekends ago when Russ raced his car at the Redline Attack
in Willowsprings, which is located out by Russ' old stomping grounds
in Palmdale. Baxter and I went with him to cheer him on.

It was really exciting to watch the cars do their practice runs in
lieu of the big Sunday race. From the sidelines you could tell the
cars were going fast, but it didn't look too crazy.

After a few small protests, Russ talked me into going in a practice
run with him. I was a little worried, but really I had no clue what I
was getting myself into. I went and signed my life away on the
passenger rider form, borrowed a helmet from one of Russ' race buddies
and strapped myself into the car. The the little flag waived and all I
could see was my life flashing before my eyes.

I can tell you that I have honestly never felt fear like that before.
It took every ounce of strengh in my being to hold on tight and yell
at Russ that I wanted out and I wanted nothing else to do with the car
on the race track.

As I felt my body forced side to side and I experienced him turn
corners on the absoute tightest turns going at 60 miles an hour, all I
could see was the car rolling off the track and and I could feel every
muscle in my body strain. And the straightaways? Forget it. All I saw
was us going 100mph with a 60mph curve coming up and the only feeling
I had was- get out!

The most unfortunate part is that before we started Russ talked me
into holding the a video camera that taped this experience. I'm sure
once he edits it down it'll make it's debut on the blog.

Anyway, as I finally talked him into taking me off the track (I only
lasted 2 laps), I peeled my hand off of the door handle. I have never
in my lifetime seen a hand as red as mine as totally dripping with
pure white sweat as I saw mine that day. Even Russ was shocked when I
pulled my hand off.

It was an experience I will never attempt again, unless I am driving
and in control of the vehicle. Actually, maybe never that either.

And now poor Russ knows that I know exactly what he's out there doing
at each race and that makes me scared for his life. Well now I know
that a life insurance policy is indefinate for him!

All in all if you take out the nightmare I experienced on the course,
it was a goodtime. It was fun to hang out with all of Russ car
friends, enjoy the desert heat. We took some shots when I first got
there. (The mini never touched the course.) If you notice, Russ has a
fire suit on which had all of the bells and whistles down to the
little elf looking shoes he wears-which I made fun of relentlesly.
Isn't he a handsome driver?

So that's the story behind the picture.


Sent from my iPhone

4 comments:

Valley Girl said...

Um when you say edit he video, do you mean edit you swearing out, cause I kinda think you should leave it. LOL!
Seriously you are a trooper, I never would have jumped in the car in the first place... unless there was some serious bribery going on.

The Trotter Family said...

Scary! So you are going to edit the video with a bunch of bleeping noises right?

Carrie Braunalicious said...

I say NO EDITING- that video was classic as is :) You are such a good wife Deb.
And Val- seriously? You fly to Patagonia, camp with three kids, go bear hunting, but you won't drive around a race track? Smiley face :)

amelia said...

YOu just talked me out of getting in a race car.