Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Mini Ambulance Service, Call Me, Not 911!


So yesterday at work, we had an emergency. One of my friends in the Risk Department, John accidently drank a drink that had bananas in it, which is is deathly allergic to. His office-mate came running into my office and said that John is having a huge problem, come look at him and see what we should do. So Lana (my boss) and I ran over to him... and he was barely breathing and kinda throwing up, but he wasn't able to because his throat was barely open enough. We started to dial 911, but he gurgling no--no hospital. Finally, we said if we don't get you to the hospital you are going to die, so we decided to carry him out to my car, and off I went in the Mini. I decided to take the freeway to Saddleback hospital, but it was a bad choice, and there was traffic everywhere. So I decided to go down the side emergency lane--which was so cool. When the emergency lane would end for an oncoming on ramp, I would pull moves that only the mini could do---speed swerving! I ran red lights (I had to stop at the big ones), stop signs, and paid no attention to speed bumps. It was actually pretty cool, minus the fact that I was having to do it to get the poor guy to the hospital fast enough--which I did. When we got there, I ran inside and the nurse said they would be right out... a bystander came and helped me pull him out of the car and into a wheelchair, and in he went. I haven't had my adrenalin run so hard in a long time! Since John didn't want to call his family and bother them with what had just happened, I stayed with him for four hours in the hospital and then took him home afterwards. What a crazy day! The cool part is that on Sunday (the day before this happened), I was telling Russ that I all of a sudden had a bad feeling about this guy John at work. Russ said it was nothing, but behold, the next day... it was something!!!! Crazy! I really feel blessed that I was able to be there for him in his time of need. I hope we can be good friends from here out! :)

6 comments:

amelia said...

Debbie! That story is so crazy! I can't believe it! Luckily you were there to drive him...go mini! Does it still have the Schooled stickers on it?

The Trotter Family said...

I swear these things only happen to you! Poor guy, I've never heard of anyone being allergic to bananas. Well, you better thank your mom for imparting her crazy driving skills onto you. It definitely helped!

Desiree said...

That is so crazy and funny at the same time. I'm glad the mini is helping out in CA. We miss it in UT! Looking forward to seeing you soon!

Kristyn said...

I kept thinking about your one date with that guy who vomitted all over you. Oh man, that was funny. And I'm glad John is okay.

Anonymous said...

wow debbie! that was quite a story!

Mrs. Case said...

Deb the Hero!!