Monday, December 21, 2009

Santa Scarf Delivery

Yeah, I finally feel like I've caught up a little on the blog! Its funny because I uploaded the pictures in between wrapping each present this weekend.... so it would be upload a picture, go wrap, come back choose the next one to upload, go wrap, come back.... it was a vicious cycle, but I got both the wrapping and the blog done.... so I'm happy! There was one more thing I wanted to write about before we head off to Russ' family for Seattle.


This weekend my friend Narine and I were given a special opportunity from our friend Alice. She makes these absolutely stunning scarves. She travels a lot for her business, so she makes them while she's on her plane rides across the country. She gave us about 20 scarves and 15 ornaments to take to people we thought would be in need. My grandfather John, before he passed away earlier this year, was taken to Freedom Village in Lake Forest to stay during one of his harder medical periods. My grandmother recommended that we take the scarves there because there were a lot of lonely people that might really enjoy something as beautiful and amazing as a scarf. So off Narine and I went.

At first we didn't know how we would approach them with the scarves, but we quickly saw them bright up as we told them we were bringing them a Christmas gift. One lady was so excited... and said "this is my first Christmas present!" Another told us that she was so touched and also teared up. A third lady was so excited to talk to us for 10 minutes and brought us into her room where she showed us her monkey collection-- she literally had hundreds of stuffed monkeys in her room. As we made our rounds on the two floors, our hearts were full. It felt good to really brighten these peoples day. They were all in awe by the beauty of the scarves and when we told them that they were handmade, they were so excited that someone took the time to do something like that for them.

It was an amazing experience. Narine and I walked away so grateful that we had the opportunity to stop by and deliver and meet some new friends. I know that it really touched me to be able to do it too... it was the perfect thing to do for Christmas. We're going to try to make it a tradition.

This was two of the ladies that we met that were so excited for the scarves. The one with the orange scarf was so funny! She kept telling us she felt like a queen with her scarf on.

3 comments:

Chelle said...

Kevin's MOm made a bunch of scarfs like that for Christmas this year!!! I got a pink one & she's making me a green one too :)

Valley Girl said...

You cute girl1 I love it Totally reminds me of bink... i'm sure he would have loved a scarf, although, i don't know if he would have claimed to feel like a queen.... maybe... who knows.

Hizzeather said...

VERY cool! I took the kids I baby-sit to a nursing home and we gave away homemade Christmas cards and sang carols, but I sure wish we would have had scarves! It feels so good to brighten their days! Great job!